Introduction and materials
'Exploring' imparts some Antarctic history by focusing on Antarctic 'heroes' and getting students to appreciate the importance of Australia's long-standing involvement in the Antarctic. Students will explore the history of people in Antarctica, particularly Australians.
- When did people first explore the Antarctic? Who were those early expeditioners and what sort of hazards did they face?
- Why do people go to the Antarctic now?
- How long have Australians been associated with Antarctica?
The activities explore the human thirst for adventure and exploration, and trace the history of humankind's involvement in the Antarctic.
- Expeditioner profiles
- A3 map of Antarctica and the Southern Ocean [PDF]
- Antarctic distance matrix [PDF]
- Comparison map of Australia, New Zealand and Antarctica [PDF]
- Plot your route to Antarctica [PDF]
- Contour Map [PDF]
- Gallery of Antarctic images
Useful information - books, videos, websites and places to visit - is listed in the references and resources section.